Use chemicals carefully: Properly dispose of used motor oil, paint, and lawn & garden chemicals
Wash your vehicle at a commercial car wash where soapy water will go into the sanitary system to be treated.
Keep lid closed on garbage cans and dumpsters.
Bag your grass clippings instead of blowing them into the street where they accumulate in the storm sewer inlets. This will help eliminate mosquitoes in your neighborhood.
Be on the lookout for signs of illicit discharges, such as:
- Flowing water in storm water ditches or pipes during periods of no rainfall.
- Pipes or hoses draining to the storm water system without an obvious source.
- Stockpiles of solid waste.
- Buckets or drums containing unknown or hazardous substances or lead batteries on bare ground.
- Water or outfall structure is discolored.
- Noticeable chemical or sewage spill.
- Garbage, suds/foam or sheen on the water’s surface.
- Dead plants, fish, birds or other small animals near the water.
- Solid waste transport trucks or containers leaking or spilling liquid.
WHAT TO DO NEXT?
If there is evidence of an illegal discharge or you witness dumping, write down a description of what you observed with dates and times. Then contact Village of Tilton authorities at 477-0800.
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO HELP
- Rain Barrels
- Rain Gardens
- Leak Proof Solid Waste Containers
- Pick Up After Your Pet
- Use Local Vehicle Wash Facilities
POLLUTION PREVENTION ORDINANCES
- Erosion, Sediment Control and Storm Sewers
- Storm Sewer, Illicit Discharge and Connection
PUBLICATIONS AND BROCHURES
- After the Storm
- Clean Water-10 Things You Can Do to Prevent Storm Water Runoff Pollution
- Make Your Home the Solution to Pollution
- Stormwater and the Construction Industry
- Water-Efficient Landscaping
VILLAGE NPDES COMPLIANCE
- 2012-2013 Notice of Intent (NOI)
- Annual Report (2020-2021)
- Archive Annual Report (2019-2020)
- Archive Annual Report (2018-2019)
- Archive Annual Report (2017-2018)
- Archive Annual Report (2016-2017)
- Archive Annual Report (2015-2016)
- Archive Annual Report (2014-2015)
- Archive Annual Report (2013-2014)
- Center for Watershed Protection
- Climate Change
- Construction Industry Compliance Assistance
- Environmental Justice
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
- National Climate Change Assessment
- National Menu of Storm Water Best Management Practices
- NPDES Program
- US Army Corp of Engineers Louisville District
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- Wetlands Mapper